My Data Protection Statement
Please read and keep for future reference
My personal data is data which by itself or with other data available to you can be used to identify me. You are Armac Veterinary Group Limited, the data controller. This data protection statement sets out how you will use my personal data. I can contact your HR Department at 147 The Rock Bury, BL9 0ND if I have any questions.
Where there are two or more people named as responsible for the welfare of an animal or animals in my care, this data protection statement applies to each person separately.
The types of personal data you collect and use
Whether or not I become a client, you will use my personal data for the following reasons set out below and if I become a client you will use it to both manage any animal or animals’ clinical history and the associated account. You will collect this directly during my initial registration. Sources of personal data collected indirectly are mentioned in this statement.
The personal data you use may include:
- Full name and personal details including contact information (e.g. home address, email address, home and mobile telephone numbers)
- Previous clinical history from any veterinary practice where you have been registered before.
- Financial details (e.g. details of payment method, details of pet insurance policy, details and evidence of entitled qualifying benefits)
- Biometric data (e.g. voice recordings)
- Personal data about other named people who are responsible for the welfare of an animal or animals in my care. I must have their authority to provide their personal data to you and share this data protection statement with them beforehand together with details of what I have agreed to on their behalf.
- In the case that I am not a client but an animal that’s welfare I am responsible for requires emergency care/intervention, All relevant data must be collected in the same way as if I were to register as a client.
Providing my personal data
You will tell me if providing some personal data is optional, including if you ask for my consent to process it. In all other cases I must provide my personal data so you can register me and my animal(s) as a client or treat my animal(s) within your Pets A&E department (unless I am a client and you already hold my details).
Monitoring of communications
Subject to applicable laws, you will monitor and record my calls, emails, text messages, social media messages and other communications in relation to my dealings with you. You will do this for regulatory compliance, self-regulatory practices, crime prevention and detection, to protect the security of your communications system and procedures, to check for obscene or profane content, for quality control and staff training and awareness, and when you need to see a record of what’s been said and this is justified by your legitimate interests or your legal obligations.
Using my personal date: the legal basis and purposes
You will process my personal data:
- As necessary to perform and maintain your contact with me for the relevant registered animal(s):
- To take steps at my request to register or facilitate a Pets A&E consultation;
- To manage and perform consultations and medical procedures;
- To update your records; and
- To trace my whereabouts to contact me about my animal(s), my account and recovering debt.
- As necessary for your own legitimate interests or those of other persons and organisations, e.g.:
- For good governance, accounting, managing and auditing your business operations;
- Debt recovery agencies;
- To monitor calls, email, social media and other communications used in a disparaging manor against your business;
- For market research, analysis and developing statistics; and
- To send marketing communications and for marketing to me within your practice.
- As necessary to comply with a legal obligation, e.g.:
- When I exercise my rights under data protection law and make requests;
- For compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and related disclosures;
- For establishment and defence of legal rights;
- To verify my identity;
- To monitor calls, email, social media and other communications used in a disparaging manor against your business.
- Based on my consent, e.g.:
- When you request to disclose my personal data to other people or organisations such as a company handling a claim on my behalf, or otherwise agree to disclosures;
- When you process any special categories of personal data about me at my request (e.g. biometric data, animal clinical history); and
- To send me marketing communications where you have asked my consent to do so.
I am free at any time to change my mind and withdraw my consent. The consequence might be that you cannot do certain things for me.
Sharing of my personal data
Subject to applicable data protection law you may share my personal data with:
- The Armac Veterinary Group;
- Associated agencies that have a vested interest in the welfare of my animal(s) (e.g. insurance companies, referral centres);
- Companies and other people providing a service to you;
- Your legal and other professional advisors;
- Debt collection agencies, fraud prevention agencies when you periodically conduct account management;
- Government bodies and agencies in the UK and overseas (e.g. Defra, APHA should my animal(s) be suspected of being illegally imported or having rabies);
- Courts, to comply with legal requirements, and for the administration of justice;
- In an emergency or to otherwise protect my own or my animal(s) vital interests;
- To protect the security or integrity of your business operations;
- When you restructure or sell your business or its assets or have a merger or re-organisation;
- Market research organisations who help to improve your services;
- Payment systems (e.g. Chip & Pin, RFID payment terminals and over the phone payment transactions) who may transfer my personal data to others as necessary to process transactions, resolve disputes and for regulatory purposes;
- Anyone else where you have my consent or as required by law.
Criteria used to determine retention periods
The following criteria are used to determine retention periods for my personal data:
- In accordance with legal and regulatory requirements. You will retain my personal data after my registration, account has been closed or otherwise transferred to another veterinary practice of my choosing and based on your legal and regulatory requirements;
- In case of queries. You will retain my personal data as long as necessary to deal with my queries; and
- In case of claims. You will retain my personal data for as long as I might legally bring claims against you.
My rights under applicable data protection law
My rights are as follows, noting that these rights do not apply in all circumstances (data portability is only relevant from May 2018)
- The right to have my personal data corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal data completed;
- The right to be informed about your processing of my personal data;
- The right to restrict processing of my personal data;
- The right to object to processing my personal data;
- The right to have my personal data erased (and where this is not entirely possible the right to have sensitive data removed or redacted);
- The right to request access to my personal data and associated animal(s) medical history; and
- The right to move copy or transfer my personal data (“data portability”).
I have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). It has enforcement powers and can investigate compliance with data protection law: ico.org.uk
For more details on all of the above I can contact your HR Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. I must place the following “Data Protection Information Request” in my email subject line before setting out my request requirements.