There is no NHS for pets, which leaves owners with the decision of paying out large amounts of money or putting their pet’s to sleep. Not all pet insurance is the same, so it’s important to choose your policy wisely.
There are usually 4 main types of policy and the level of cover provided by each varies.
- Lifetime/Covered for life policies – As long as the policy is renewed, it will provide cover for treatment of a long-term or recurring illness for the life of the policy, along with all medical illnesses and injuries/accidents up to a set amount of money each year for as long as the policy remains in force.
- Maximum Benefit Policies – There is a maximum amount of money available to cover the cost of treatment for each illness and injury the pet may suffer. Once the full amount of money has been spent, the treatment of illness or injury won’t ever is covered again.
- 12 Month Policies/Time limited Policies – these provide a fixed sum of money to cover the treatment of each illness and injury and a set time period over which treatment for each illness and injury will be covered. policies will cover the cost of treatment for 12 months from the start of that illness or injury, as long as the policy remains in force.
- Accident Only Policies – These policies provide a fixed sum of money for each accidental injury to help pay for your pet’s treatment. Some accident policies may also include an amount towards emergency treatment costs. Some policies have a 12-month limit. They do not cover illness.
What else you need to know?
- What the excess will be
- The level of cover provided
- The cost of the insurance
- Are there any exclusions on the policy
- Is euthanasia covered
- Is death from accident or illness/purchase prices covered
- When the cover begins
- Does the policy cover hereditary illness
Shop around to find the insurance policy that best suits your needs; Look for what you get for the price, not just the price alone. Read the policy documents to ensure you know what is and what is not covered. Always answer the insurer’s questions honestly and in full. If you don’t the insurer may refuse to pay your claim.
We offer 4 weeks free pet plan insurance which covers illness and injury immediately at first vaccine. Please ask at reception.